View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I didn't actually redo the wire splice this time, I decided to just give it a good squeeze with pliers, tape it up tight and call it OK for now. I'll know where to look if it happens again.

Anyway, on my 3023 there are two porch lights on the door side of the camper, one near the front corner and one beside the door. Both of those appear to be on the same circuit. This wire branched off from the main black wire underneath the inside AC trim shroud with a single switch located above the door on the inside. That splice is where I assume I had a problem. But I really can't say for certain because all I did was jiggle around with the splice and tape it up.

Also there is another porch light on the opposite side of the camper. It has it's own switch built into the light assembly. I had to remove the assembly and clean up the bare ground wire connection on that light and now it works fine. The best I could tell, the 12V feed to that light braches off from the main black wires somewhere near where the light is located.

You can see the wire bundles coming underneath from the breaker panel going up to the roof areas and other devices, if you look in the outside access panel to the fridge compartment. The bundles appear to feed up attached to one of the lift arms.

So if you are not getting power at the lights, check the switch(s) first. They seem kind of cheap and suspect in my opinion. Then, if needed, trace wires back to the one junction inside the AC for the door side lights. Then try to find the junction for the back side light, if necessary. Eventually tracing back down to the black wire junctions behind the fridge and back to the fuse panel all as necessary.

Also, I assume all the interior lights and other 12V stuff do have power? If not that could give you more clues as which way to look.

And dohhhh! I almost forgot, even though I hinted at it above. When checking for voltage at the light sockets, don't trust the ground side of the socket to be good. Try and reach a known good ground like a working light socket inside or something. If you take out the 4 screws and pull out the light assembly you will see there is only a single ground screw into the metal exterior skin. Easy to get weathering and corrosion in this location. Like I mentioned I had to clean and apply some bulb grease to the one ground screw hole in order to get that light working consistently. That was the light on the back side.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote