View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Thanks everyone, I think I found it. The bulbs are the 912 blade type and they are good and the sockets clean.

The long version: I removed the switch by the door and it checked out fine with the ohm-meter. But I was getting an inconsistent voltage reading from the hot wire to the switch when connected to a good ground. I was using the 1157 light socket above the stove for the ground. I would sometimes get 10 to 11+ volts but never a steady reading and never 12 or more. Next time it would read 2 or 3 volts then sometimes 5 or 6 always fluctuating.

When I put a jumper between the switch wires, similar puzzling readings at the light sockets. Took off one light assembly and looked at the ground connection, but it seemed OK. That is when the bell rang that I remembered the ceiling exhaust fan had also acted flaky a while back, refusing to come on then it started working later. I assumed the fan motor at the time.

So guessing from the wiring diagram, I pulled off the plastic trim panel to the AC unit. There were a couple black 12V wire junctions using the 3-way crimp splices which I have always had problems with. I monkeyed around with those, in particular the one leading off in the direction of the fan and the porch lights. In the process of testing with one of those sharp pointed automotive wire probes, I accidentally contacted the metal ceiling and blew the fuse to the front shell ceiling. Ran to the store for some spare fuses, put a new one in and suddenly I'm getting good voltage at the lights and they are working. So am assuming it was the wire splice and while I have the panel off, will replace that with wire nuts.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote