Thread: scraping bottom
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The Frontier has a nice towing capacity (6300 pounds properly equipped - is yours properly equipped?) That's a good thing. And it has a somewhat long wheelbase, depending on the specific sub-model. That is also a good thing for stability, but it affects the front-rear weight distribution. Each of my Explorers had a tow rating of about 6800 pounds, but only 114" of wheelbase - and each one definitely needed a weight distributing hitch. I think you will find that a WDH will do a lot of good in your case, too.

Since you can't lay your hands on your WDH for a while - and since your trailer is towing level - and since your tow vehicle is quite capable - I think your short-term solution is to tow your trailer a bit nose-high until you can get your WDH. In other words, buy a hitch with about 2 more inches of rise than your current hitch. This should keep the trailer's nose out of the asphalt. It will also lower the tail end of the trailer, of course, but because the axle is not in the center of the trailer, a 2" rise in the front will mean perhaps a 1" drop in the rear. These solid hitchbars are not expensive - maybe $20 if you shop around.

But get your hands on your WDH as soon as possible. And ignore suggestions to use air bags to raise the rear of the truck.

You have the same year/model TM as mine, and it is a pleasure to have on the road.

Final thought. You say your TM has the lift brackets for WDH springbars, and that you can get the springbars in about 6 months. I'm sure you realize that brackets and bars do not make a WDH. A WDH needs a special ballmount to hold the springbars. Is that part of your deal with the seller? If you have the ballmount now, you might be better off to simply buy a set of springbars now, and solve the problem that way. If you don't have, and won't get, a ballmount from the seller, you don't and won't have a WDH, so you might break down and buy the whole thing right now.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote