View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Doug W.

Other people have said it and I firmly believe it. The issue is not if you can tow it, but do you have the safety margins needed in an emergency? Dan says it will push you around when going down hill. Now think emergency braking, like when some genius suddenly starts braking hard in the middle of a curve on a 55 MPH state hiway to turn into a driveway right after the curve without signaling. Don't think that will happen? It happened to me on our first outing about 5 miles from the state park we were going to. I am very glad I had a full size Ford van with a good brake controller. Even with this setup I could could sense the TM trying to push me, but I had enough vehicle that it was not an issue. I do not even want to think what would have happened if I had been in a marginal setup like you are suggesting. The Pilot is only rated to 3500 lbs and your loaded 2720 will be very close to 3500 lbs if not a little bit above. I will also say that with a marginal setup where you may be at the limits of the engine, then you will most likely see a larger drop in mileage. On my van with a 5.4 L V8, I normally get 15 mpg to 16 mpg instead of 16 mpg to 17 mpg. The exception is towing in the mountains coming back from Phoenix, AZ where I bought mine used. I got 13 mpg to 14 mpg then. I also get several miles less when towing into a head wind, but then my normal mileage drops then also. A full size van does not have a good wind profile.