View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
PopBeavers

The conclusion that I have reached is that diesel is better for towing big heavy trailers and gas is better for towing light trailers. Heavy trailers need a TV with more torque. Diesel is also better at high altitude due to power loss.

I believe that for a properly designed car or truck the engine and transmission should die at the same time that the body rots out. If the body rots out at 200k miles, what good is it to have an engine that will last 300k or more miles. This issue depends on how much you will drive. The more miles per year that you spend towing a heavy trailer the more sense it makes to go diesel.

Diesel is harder to find. Getting in and out of gas stations towing a big trailer is difficult. This is why I think you see more diesel owners adding extra fuel tanks so that they do not stop for fuel as often. With my Chevy 1500 HD towing my TM I have never yet encountered a gas station that I could not get in and out of. My brother has the 2500 HD towing a 32 foot Montana. He added a bigger fuel tank because he got frustrated with the difficulty of getting fuel. He prefers to purchase fuel only when not towing.