View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
Mainemoosepies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I haven't done it, but I would be very skeptical of leaving water in either the black or gray tank (be sure you know the difference) when the trailer won't be heated. Can you drain the tanks before you turn off the heat and leave?

I honestly don't know the difference. Time to do some research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hadn't heard the idea of using the salt solution, but I would be worried about corroding things like the circulating pump's impeller in the toilet. And if the liquid in the toilet freezes, it would bind up the pump, and you might cause damage if you try to run it before it thaws out.

I suppose you could use RV anti-freeze, about 50/50 mix for a Maine winter. It is not expensive, but it does leave you with more liquid to lug out.
The salt was an interesting approach but I concur about the potential pitfalls. I can see why you would think my location is Maine! Need to finish up my profile I'm a Mainiac born and raised but relocated to East Tennessee about 10yrs ago so it would not be quite so cold

I would also be dumping the potty contents down the outhouse hole so I am not comfortable using rv antifreeze though that would be a great solution of I was near a dumping station. I'd be sure to empty the potty each time I departed but was not sure if that would be enough.

Thanks!

Michelle
Mainemoosepies is offline   Reply With Quote