View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
yoda911

Thanks Bill,

I miss typed the HP rating, you are correct that the Lexus only has 270 HP. the point I was trying to make is that Ford tends to over rates their tow capacities as a marketing ploy to compete with Chevy and Dodge while Lexus/Toyota tend to be more conservative. I agree totally that monitoring trans temp is very important and I have taken your advice and installed a gauge, the temps did surprise me. I also agree that more power would be appreciated but the RX350 did OK going from Denver to Leadville. Towing safely usually means slowing down anyway, no matter what TV you have and sometimes pulling over to let things cool down.

I am far more concerned about the F250-F350 truck with an over-aggressive driver doing 80-90MPH over mountain passes that has a light trailer but is weaving in and out of traffic versus a 3500lb rated TV towing a 3500lb trailer traveling in the right lane below the speed limit with all of the other slower rigs. I find it funny how some will say that those of us who are towing at our vehicles maximum tow capacities are unsafe while they overload their own TM's by several hundred pounds! Remember the TM has limits too.

Thank you Pitbull for your concern about the tongue weight. I have a tongue scale and had to adjust how we loaded the TM to get the tongue weight below the 350lb rating and using a WDH lowered that number even more.

Bottom line is slow down, be careful and have fun out there.
I will take your bet!
yoda911 is offline   Reply With Quote