View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wayne -

I think we're saying the same thing. If you meet the numbers, you won't necessarily be safe from anything but a lawsuit. But if you are coming down a steep grade and lose control, that's not much consolation.

I guess I'm just discouraged that the towing question - and it comes up often - is always phrased in terms of rated towing capacity or in terms of GVWR/GCWR etc. And although the question almost never includes any indication of where the towing will take place, the poster always expects to get an ironclad unambiguous answer.

But it was always thus, and I've got to realize that I'm shoveling sand against the tide.

Bill
I'm dissappointed........you didn't even mention the TV in the picture.....

At some point, people need to be responsible for using some common sense.

As long as one does not exceed the GCVWR for their TV, they should (in most cases) be able to negotiate mountain driving while exercising caution.

My TV is pretty maxed out on the GCVWR. It only has 180HP and I have towed pretty extensively in the mountains. I have a large trans cooler and an over-sized engine and trans oil pan on my little truck. I also use synthetic fluids (they dissipate heat much faster and can sustain higher temps without damaging the fluid). I also have carbon metallic brake pads.

Other than having to use lower gears, I've never had any issues. I do use extreme caution going down steep grades.

Where people tend to get in trouble is that they look at the vehicles tow rating and neglect to consider anything else. The vehicle tow rating is a very dangerous # because in most cases the vehicle is rated with the TV empty. Not may people go camping by themselves and no camping gear. Passengers and cargo can easily add up to thousands of pounds. Those pounds add an awful lot of inertia to a vehicle traveling at highway speeds.

IMHO, tow ratings are dangerous and should be posted with a warning like "Vehicle rated at XXXX# with no passengers and cargo". Far too many people look at a 3500# tow rating and think that they are good to tow a 3500# TM. That is hardly ever the case. It is very difficult to find any vehicles that has a 3500# tow rating that would not exceed the GCVWR when they load that vehicle and trailer with passengers and cargo. I think that TrailManor knows that and should stipulate that in their advertising. I think that their statements about "Most V6 cars can tow a TM", then supply a vehicle tow rating fact sheet are border-line negligent. In fact, they even have a picture of a Toyota Rav4 with the comment, "What do all of these top selling vehicles have in common?"......"In fact, their 3500 lb. tow rating is well above what’s needed for one of our 30-foot trailers. They can all tow a 30-foot TrailManor. Easily.".....the Rav4 has a 2000# tow rating. It says so in their own published chart.