View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
br2_wdc

Default 08 Explorer PCM/Transmission Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigrrr View Post
Dave, I did have the extra trany cooler in front of the radiator. That 6spd had been known for being a problem ......only thing I did not know about it until I bought it. Dealer replaced the tranny once then did a solenoid and servo rebuild. it was never the same after that. I sold it to a car lot when reverse and 1st. and 3rd went out.
Richard: I hope you have better luck with your transmission then (Craig and) I did. My 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 w/6-spd auto did a fantastic job for us and was an excellent choice to pull our TM, but after about a year it started having transmission issues. At first it would just die out occasionally, but it became more frequent until one of the last times I was commuting to work and it died and I had to wrestle it to the curb with no power steering. After about 10 minutes, it finally did restart and I was able to drop it at my mechanic.

With the codes it was throwing it was difficult to diagnose, but it turned out to be the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), sort of the "brain" for the engine/transmission, and a common failure. Also at $1500 it was just the first step to a possible trans rebuild (at least $3000) if replacing it doesn't fix the issue.

When my mechanic went to order the PCM, it was on a "National back order" so apparently I wasn't alone with this issue. So I was looking at 30 day wait to replace PCM, which may or may not fix the issues! I decided to take my lumps, trade it to Carmax, and look for another TV option.

I am happy to say I found a 2005 Lexus GX470 in excellent condition, and I'm crossing my fingers that this one will give us no major issues (knock wood!) for a long long time!
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote