View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

DP -

If it is hard to open, there is clearly something wrong, probably with the torsion bars and surrounding apparatus. Do this.

Peer underneath and find the 8 torsion bars (4 front, 4 rear), and make sure none of the ones associated with the front shell are broken. This would be unusual, but it can happen.

You say the front shell closes easily. Question: does it close "easily", or does it drop like a rock? If the latter, I would again suspect a broken torsion bar. If it closes "really really easily", but doesn't "drop like a rock", it may be grossly misadjusted. Easy fix, at least by a dealer. Or Search for a post by Denny_A on the topic, if you would like to do it yourself.

When the front closes, does it tend to close crooked? Or does it drop nicely and squarely into place?

The body work that was done on the front - was it done on the lower part (the "box") or the upper part ("the shell")?

Has anything been added to the roof of the front shell? Any weight up there (bikes, solar panels, air conditioner, etc) will make it hard to open until the torsion bars are adjusted to compensate for the added weight.

Look around all the seams in the front shell. Look around the inside of the front shell. Any sign of water damage (or recent camoflage cleaning)? If there is 40 pounds of water in the walls, it could cause the problem you describe.

I realize that you can't answer most of these questions until you actually see the unit. However, this can be an easy problem, or a very expensive problem. I wouldn't buy until you get it resolved - or a satisfactory guarantee from the seller.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote