View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #18
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I'm in the same boat as M&M, thought I wanted a '05/'06 Tundra because they're a bit smaller, but found out the tow limit is 6500 and gas mileage terrible. Started looking at bigger ones and like the new Fords. I need 4X4. Anyone here tow with a 4X4 F150? What is the gas mileage?

The newer Tacoma would work, but I'm concerned about the lower HP for towing here in the mountains with a ATV in the bed and a TM on the hitch!
I'm using a 2007 F-150 4x4 crew cab with the big Triton V8 to tow my 2720SL. Mileage locally (not a lot of stop and go) without the TM is 15-17, depending, and up to 19 mpg on the Interstate with little wind while in Colorado. At lower altitudes (trip to Vermont, for example), I'll tend to lose a couple of mpg -- perhaps due to the additional air density causing more drag. Keep in mind that we always travel with quite a bit of stuff in the truck, both in the back seat and in the bed (we have a shell, too).

With the TM attached I get from 11 (uphill, steep Rocky Mountain grades, or 35-50 mph headwind) to 17 (rare -- 62 mph on I-25 with a tailwind). Overall with the TM it runs around 13.3-15.5 mpg.