View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Jim&Joan

Default Just a few observations in my personal experience...

I am on my second F150. One is 15 y/o, the second is 3.5 y/o. Both with 2WD and shells. The older one has had several sets of filters and tires, a few sets of shocks, brakes. Shop repairs - one warranty power mirror and lower ball joints. Older daughter took it over and then handed it to younger who is driving it now. The newer one - filters and oil.

I bike ride, camp, hunt, fish, dive out of mine. Go tent camping with DW and 2 daughters for a week and include 3 sets of dive gear with tanks to get an idea of how much a truck with a shell can hold Go tech diving with a buddy for a week. Tech gear to include 14 tanks. Travel to various cities with buddy to do triathlons. (Two or three expensive bikes under cover.)

In the last 15 years, I have wished I had 4x4 about a half dozen times. Once I parked 40 yards further from a cave dive site to avoid getting stuck, so had to carry gear further. Once I almost got stuck getting out of a dive site where the snow and ice got warmed up by mid-day sun. The other times it just seemed convenient, but I got by without it. I considered 4x4 for both vehicle purchases, but in addition to the points already listed, two other factors played in my decision. 4x4 is more difficult to get in an out of, especially for DW and kids. When kids were smaller, I test drove one and the youngest almost face-planted getting out. DW said, "In a pig's eye." Other factor is that an unloaded 4x4 can be a harsh ride. Admittedly, my trucks are 'toy boxes' and I like leather, heated seats, power accessories and a comfortable ride.

My current Ford, I get ~17mpg typical, ~19mpg good case. I haven't towed TM enough yet to have deltas. I will say pulling TM is not a problem. I love having a shell to secure and protect cargo. Current shell is very secure (as a shell can be). You'd have to break the rear glass to get in, like an SUV and the lock is integrated with the power door locks. I have owned an S10 with a shell and rear hatch that you could jerk open when locked. I also had a Suburban and I don't like my cargo in my passenger area. Wet or damp camping and dive gear is not pleasant on a long drive and not as easy to hose out as truck.