View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Ethanol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
I have to agree with the above. I have really noticed what harveyrv is talking about. DW's Cherokee on the interstate, flat, in Fl is hard pressed to get 19 mpg. Once we leave get a fill up outside Fl MPG goes to 20. This is running 67 mph, at 70 it drops at 65 it drops. This is also running regular with the 10 to 15% ethanol which only helps the farmers IMO. So what is the difference when we leave Fl and get that first out of state fill up? The K & N will help the land fill, but here in Fl when I've run them in the past I didn't see any change in performance.
[rant /on]This is a pet pieve with me: Ethanol is a bad bargain as a motor fuel. A gallon of ethanol has only 2/3 of the btu's that a gallon of gas has. In other words, there's less energy in it to produce miles for you (by comparison, Diesel has 14% more than gas). So every dollar you spend on gallons of 10% Ethanol gas is for a product that's really only worth $.93, in spite of the outrageous federal subsidies. It takes almost as much energy to make the Ethanol as it yields, so the whole ethanol thing is just a boondoggle that raises food and fuel costs for everybody while it burns food that could otherwise be exported to reduce our trade imbalance. [rant /off]
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote