View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The other thing to remember, of course, is that if a simple change of filter or canister would have any significant change in power, torque, or gas mileage, the auto companies would be all over it, and would make those changes right on the production line.

The government's gas mileage requirement is really tough to meet. If putting in a different air filter would boost mileage by 10%, and add maybe $1 to the retail price of the car, do you think Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, et al, would ignore that? Not hardly!

And given that the first thing any auto magazine's new-car reviewer does is talk about INCREASED HORSEPOWER OVER LAST YEAR'S ENGINE!, do you think the auto companies would ignore a nearly free change that would bring in bigger numbers? Again, not hardly!

No matter what you think of the automakers, they aren't stupid. The aftermarket engine-accessory companies want you to forget that.

Bill
My sentiments exactly. I graduated General Motors Institute and worked for GM most of my working life. I can assure you that if there were any value to this system without effecting the longevity of any other components, the auto manufacturers would use it........ as Bill said, these people are not stupid. There is a darn good reason that it is not being used. I can also assure you that it has been extensively researched.

I will go a step farther and add 2 comments to Bill's. If the K&N system had any value and was so well protected with patents that the manufacturers could not use that technology, one of the manufacturers would simply buy the company.

My other comment.....if you own a car that is under factory warranty, I would not suggest rolling into the dealership for warranty work if you have that system installed on your vehicle. Even if you are not in for engine work, there will be a footnote in your vehicle's record that it has an aftermarket intake system on it. If you ever have engine problems from then on (that could possibly be blamed on that system), you will be screwed.....even if you remove the system and reinstall the original.