View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
viking

I looked at the Toyota web site(http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/options.html ) and they talked about the optional tow package that includes the following: V6 Towing Package [2] includes: Class-4 towing hitch, transmission oil cooler (automatic transmission models), supplemental engine oil cooler, heavy-duty battery, 130-amp alternator and 7-pin connector with converter. Still $4,000 seams a little high. The oil and transmission cooler will help your vehicle perform and last longer (less chance of on the road break downs). The one thing I would not be without is the transmission cooler (this is for automatic transmission models only). I had one put on my Jeep at an AAMCO installed for under $300.

Also does the standard tow package come with the 7-pin connector because you will need it with the TM. You also need a class 3 hitch if you are going to use a weight distribution hitch. These additional items can also add up.

Depending on which TM you are looking at a general rule of thumb is that you should have a towing capacity with at least a 20% safety margin. For example if your Tow Vehicle is rated at 5000lb you should plan to tow with TM and gear no more than 4,000lb.

Good Luck!