View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
alexcua

Default Highlander 08 Model

I have an RX330 and I'm planning to get the 2720 Silver Ed. From what I have read here, it seems I'm pushing it to the limit. I checked out the 08 Highlander from the dealership today and the Gas model is rated at 5000lbs and the Hybrid is the same at 3500lbs. The GVWR is about the same for both but the Hybrid is 500lbs heavier and the 3.3 has less torque and hp so maybe this explains the drop in capacity but I can't imagine that it would be a 1500 difference.

I was told that the new Hybrid stiill shares the same chassis as the Camry, Avalon, RX330 and the Sienna. That being said, why are the ratings so different between the RX350 and Highlander 08? They have the same engines and HP rating and the RX is lighter overall?

I also saw a nice 05 Land Cruiser for slightly less than a new Highlander. Of course for towing I prefer the LC but the 19mpg on the sticker bothers me.

I did some math and assuming that the difference is about 5mpg on the highway. It translates to about 0.15 per mile more to run the LC. So I'm talking about $15.00 more every 100 miles.

Has anybody have any experience with the Highlander 08 with 5000 lbs cap?