View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
dave.claude

Default Exploding Tires?

We have had a 2005 2720SL for 3 years and think it is great except for one thing. We have had 3 catastrophic failures of the Marathon tires in the last year. All on the same side (drivers), on the highway, under 65 mph, 50 lbs psi with the resulting destruction of waste management plumbing and nerve damage. 2 in the last 2 weeks.

I have gotten many pieces of great info on this site so here goes another question.

I have read all the posts on tire management on this site and stayed with all the recommendations. Frankly the first 2 occurred to my wife, who uses it 10+ times a year and I was suspicious until it occured when I was driving 2 days ago. Holding tanks empty, 1/2 water tank and a the usual few personal items we like to travel with. Checked everything I could think of on the axle etc. but trailers are very simple. I have owned and used numerous trailers in the past 40 years of driving and have never experienced this kind of failure.

I am now going to try another brand of tire that has a little higher capacity rating. The person I was discussing this with at the tire shop said, "didn't anyone every tell you that you need a higher rated tire?" and looked at me as if was from some other planet.

I am interested in other comments and will provide an update if anything goes bang again, or not.