Thread: Diesel vs Gas
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #44
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

If I was not towing, I don't think economics would be a compelling reason to get a diesel. With the Jeep 8-spd tranny, the gas engines get pretty good mileage, so the mileage disparity is much less than comparing to a <20mpg vehicle.

When I just did a comparison spreadsheet, at a 70-cent differential in fuel prices, using 20 mpg for a V-6 Grand Cherokee (don't need the extra power of a V-8 if I am not towing, I suppose, and it skews in favor of a gas engine), and a 28 combined mpg for the diesel, one would spend the same amount on fuel. I ran 50k, 100k, and 150k mile comparisons, and expenditures were the same for each fuel economy model.

However, with a 30-cent per gallon difference, which is what the Denver area has averaged for the last three years (didn't pay attention before that), the diesel fuel will cost $700 less for 50k miles, $1400 less over 100k miles, and $2000 less over 150k miles.

Using that comparison, and assuming one is not going to use a vehicle where power is the primary concern, I would say that a diesel is not worth the extra expense. Until I quit towing, though, I will have a diesel.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote