Thread: Diesel vs Gas
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #43
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Airsteam has a lot more frontal areal than a TM & I find the flow from my Grand Cherokee to the TM is very even. Makes a difference over 50 mph and varies with the square of the speed.

The importance of direct injection cannot be emphasized enough because it allows very diesel-like performance from a gas engine. It allows operation at detonation which permits silly amounts of boost.

In the last century, this was not important since diesel fuel was easier to refine and cheaper than gasoline. The administration fixed that.

The rules are different now and while very large engines will probably stay diesel, up to about 500 cc per cylender (whould take a while to explain why) boosted direct injection gas engines make a lot of sense and have one big advantage: while most small diesels are "all in" by 4800 rpm, the ecoboost makes over 300 lb-ft of torque from 1600 to 5800 rpm.

It is this very broad torque curve that sets gas engines apart from diesels but takes DOHC with VVT i&e to manage it.

Jeep is said to have a direct injection version of the Pentastar ready for next year but it also take boost to really make power.