View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

For the most part, I agree with Wavery and Shane, particularly for new home-brew (non-factory) connections. But I'm a bit less hard over about the whole thing - and I know those guys will disagree. While their advice is excellent, I don't think the world will end if you use other methods carefully.

My feelings are these. Others are free to disagree.

1. My first choice is always solder and heat shrink. But you have to know how to solder, and most folks don't. And you have to know how to shrink heat shrink tubing, and most folks don't.
1a. I have not used the self-solder heat shrink connectors, but they look like a great solution IF YOU HAVE A HEAT GUN. A hair dryer will not get nearly hot enough, and attempts to use matches, a lighter, your stovetop, etc, will likely fail.

2. I never use plain wire nuts where they may encounter water. I'm disappointed that TM uses them on the brake wires under the TM. However, you can buy blue wire nuts that have a rubber membrane over the entry, and are grease-filled, which seals them well. Picture below. The trick with wire nuts is that the prep must be done correctly. The wires must be stripped to the correct length, cleaned, aligned neatly and evenly, twisted tightly in the proper direction until it won't twist any more, and the end of the bundle squared off. If it never stops twisting, or if any copper shows outside the skirt when you are done, it is wrong and may fail. Start over.
Some folks consider wire nuts to be re-usable. I don't know the official answer, but I generally disagree.

3. My personal feeling - and it is only my own - is that I try never to use crimp connectors. Machine crimping as used in assembling automobiles is great, but I have had too many home-brew crimps fail, even when I use a proper tool.

4. Finally, I have repaired a few TM connections that use the connectors you asked about. I don't like them much, but if you use new connector, the wire is not nicked, they are applied according to the manufacturer's directions, there is no tension on the wires, and they will not be exposed to moisture, I don't worry much about them.

5. If the copper has turned black, you have a bigger problem than the connector. Fix that first.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue wire nuts.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	21395  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote