View Single Post
Old 05-31-2022, 08:49 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm with Commodor47. It should drain easily. If it doesn't, something must be blocking the drain pipe or valve.

My first step would be to open the valve and run a piece of copper wire or a pipe cleaner up the tube as far as it will go (you can buy l-o-n-g pipe cleaners easily). If a ball valve is involved, the pipe cleaner will run through it easily. If the valve is the multi-turn kind, the wire or pipe cleaner won't go through it. If a quarter-turn plastic valve, I'm not sure.

If that doesn't clear the drain, the next thing I would do is buy about 3 feet of vinyl hose of the right size to slip onto the outlet end of the drain tube. Buy a barbed union piece if needed. Now connect the vinyl hose to the drain point, and blow like mad into the vinyl tube. If the drain is clogged by crud (algae, mud, or whatever), this should clear it, and stir up the crud so it will either drain out or can be pumped out. If you can't blow into the tube at all, then either the valve itself is faulty, or the clog is so bad that you will need to disconnect the drain hose from the tank and investigate.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote