View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
The '98 is a little different than the later models. The axle is mounted on an "L" bracket, which is welded to the outside of the frame.
My 2003 had the same setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 10.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	4653

Quote:
The reason that I decided not to move the axle forward is the axle moves up and forward when I hit a bump in the road. I calculated that the axle can move up about 3" and forward about 2.5". That's about all the room that I have on the left side of the trailer. I'm afraid that the 15" tires might hit the front of the wheel well when I hit a bump .
Wayne, if seems if the wheel assembly is lower than the axle mount, then any upward motion should move the wheel back, and if the wheel assembly is higher than the axle mount, then that would give you a forward motion. If I remember correctly, my wheel assembly was level with the axle mount with a load, so any movement would have been slightly forward on my unit, also. Good catch.

Quote:
One tip..... if you use 2.5" tubing. Do not drill your holes in the center of the tube. If you do, the tube will hit the axle. Drill your holes 1" from one edge.
Another good catch……I had forgotten about that. In using the factory lift kit, the holes are already bored, but I could have moved the tubular steel slightly away from the trailing arm to allow for a little more clearance…..mine was really close on 1 side. By the time I had that figured out, I had already torque the bolts, and didn’t want to redo them.

Congratulations on your axle lift, and I betcha you won't regret it.