View Single Post
Old 06-04-2023, 09:20 AM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default Permatex on grease seals?

Going to be reassembling the brakes next week once everything has arrived and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation about using the Permatex Red High temp sealant on the OD of their grease seals. And those that do use it, exactly how are you applying it? Very thin film, let it set about 5 minutes or thereabouts, then set the seals in place?

Dexter and Lippert both say to use it (thin film) unless the seals have a rubber coating.

I have done some checking, and a lot (most) threads I come up with say they don't use it. Possibly because they have found it too hard to remove the seals when changing them out, and those that don't have an issue weren't commenting. You generally hear more from folks who have a complaint than those that don't.

I know mine were a real bear to get out (the fact that they are the original seals - everything around those wheels was original - probably didn't help). But since you don't re-use them anyway, the fact they looked a bit like an old chew toy wasn't an issue for me. I am inclined to go with what Dexter & Lippert tell you to do - I am using Lippert seals. My feeling is that it is a belt and suspenders kind of thing. And I have no problem with that. The fact that it will make it harder to get them out doesn't bother me. The amount of traveling I do will entail just pulling and inspecting the bearings once every couple of years, maybe even less often than that. I can take a look at the rear bearing when I pull the drum to check brakes, which I do every year, and the front bearing will come out with the drum, so...

Comments?