View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrweaver View Post
We have a 2009 Elkmont 24 and tow with a 2004 Toyota Sienna mini van 5 speed auto and 3.3 engine. The first time I took it to Florida from North Carolina I tried to go the same speed as not towing --always crowding the speed limit usually 70-75 mph. I got about 10.2 MPG. Coming back I learned to be content going between 50 and 60 averaging about 56 mph. I get about 15 MPG. Of course the Elkmont is always up and wind resistance seems to be a huge factor. Someone told me it squares with each increase in speed. I am hoping some small diesels will be out in a few years. Right now only the VW Tourareg, BMW X5, or Mercedes M class offer what I want and they are very pricey! The key is about 400 ft lbs of torque at 1800 or 2000 RPM and I think I should get over 20 mpg towing.
I doubt that you would get 20MPG towing an Elkmont, no matter what you are towing with.

I do know that you are asking a lot of that Sienna, towing an Elkmont (or any other TT). I would think that it wouldn't be long before you're replacing the transmission in that vehicle. Whatever you think that you may be saving on gas might well go out the window if you have any major mechanical bill on that van.

Sometimes, the quest for better MPG is futile if not balanced with the mechanical abilities of the TV. Often, when people try to tow the most trailer with the least (real) towing capacity it ends up causing a lot of grief and $.

I know a few people that tow some pretty heavy pop-up campers with the Sienna (one has already replaced a trans) but a full size TT has more challenges than a PU.