View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 06:55 AM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Weak Clutches and Torque multiplication

I heartily agree with the comments above about low-rated clutches (and transmissions) being standard equipment on 1/2 ton (or smaller) manual tranny trucks and SUVs. Unless the vehicle is equipped with a heavy duty clutch/tranny, it simply can't handle the inevitable slippage that happens when you first try to get moving with a heavy trailer, particularly on a steep grade.

I also heartily agree with Bill about automatics being better from a torque standpoint. One of the best things about an automatic is the fact that the torque converter provides around a 2X torque multiplication when you need it most (i.e. starting from a standstill).

For a given engine and axle ratio, an automatic will get a "rig" moving much better and with far less trauma to the drivetrain than will a clutch/manual tranny. Yes, once moving, there can be some advantages to a manual in terms of longevity, control, engine braking, efficiency, etc....but I happily traded that for the ability to easily start moving (especially on steep grades or when backing uphill into a tight spot).

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote