Thread: Bugs?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 10:51 PM   #33
Expanderoo

We're camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with our new-to-us 2007 3124KB and the mosquitos are getting in. I think this area should be a testing ground for trailer manufacturers as the mosquitos are so thick and persistent.

So far, I've:

- used wet wipes all over the place to try to cover gaps (bed corners, top of the bed slides on each side on the rear bed, around the door flaps, anywhere there is a gap in the flaps or they meet a wall, etc)
- redone the door seals although discovered the foam might be too thick so going to redo them again with thinner foam
- toweled the bottom of the doors
- discovered gap between front and rear upper shells above stove -- inserted slice of pool noodle along with more wet wipes
- discovered gap between upper and lower shells on bathroom wall and across the "hall" behind the dresser -- more pool noodle slices and wet wipes
- realized rear storage area could see light during day from inside -- under bed slide on rear is open, used more pool noodle slices to try to seal rear bed slide
- went to front and tried to seal again on the edges -- for some reason, front bed slide has a seal that covers most of the gap while rear does not?

I'm using the wet wipes for the material -- the cloth stays together when wet (of course) so I find it better than paper towels.

So far, I'm not winning this war. I do see some gaps around the wheels and might try to use some sealant there (some already present). I also see the access panels to the outside behind the fridge/furnace are wide open but not sure if there is paths to the interior (perhaps behind the couch on 3124KB)?

I also found the window gaskets have shrunk and it might be a possible route for mosquitos but this is unproven -- just possibility. Another on is through the roof vents where the interior trim overlaps but doesn't have a solid seal. Admittedly, it's like a trap with the overlapping pieces so unlikely a route. But there seem to be a lot of potential routes and even with low probability, it seems like there might be enough...

Opening the door is a real problem but it's clear they are getting in via other methods. Tomorrow night, I'm getting out the deet and going outside in the dark (with all the lights on inside) to try to figure out what I'm missing...