View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
I suspect the Elkmont was the killer product. Not because it is a bad idea but with people bringing their trailers back for repair and outright demands for their money back, their reputation was hurt badly.
When the Elkmont first came out, the dealers were saying that they sold more of them than the folding models. And I've yet to find another light-weight trailer with a layout we like for around the $22,000 we paid (or less). So I do think they were a potentially viable product.

Unfortunately, the initial quality really, really sucked. (But that seems to be behind us now as we get ready for another trip to Florida).

Starting up a whole new line of trailers at the beginning of a major recession/depression must have put a tremendous financial strain on the company. These are luxury items for most. And perhaps that financial strain and subsequent cut-backs was why the Elkmont's initial quality suffered.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if any of the RV manufacturers are making much of a profit, if any, these days.