View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
... I want to travel with my wife throughout South Florida investigating sites for a future Park Model or maybe do some snowbirding when I retire in about six years.
3. Is the TM air conditioner up to the task of South Florida heat and humidity? If not, any creative solutions?

Love this forum. Can't wait for the replies.
Beach Boy, I know you are familiar with mosquitoes and "no see'ums" from your time spent at Gulf Shores and other beach areas. I live in So. Florida and have camped in various forms all over the state, currently I'm in a new-for-me 2008 TM3326King. Here are some thoughts.
1. I really miss not having a screened awning on the TM. I've been told that the TM awning is not strong enough to support a screen, and mine doesn't look to be very strong. We use a Coleman screen tent and that helps. The place with the MOST mosquitoes for me was at Chokoloskee, FL - great for stone crab and several good campgrounds - lots of snow birds. The most itchy mosquitoes (smallish black) we found so far were in the Indian River Area from Stuart to Fort Pierce but lots of snow birds with park trailers here. Not all Florida is like this, however, we've camped in the Ocala and Gainesville areas with few problems.
2. I have found the AC on our TM to be very satisfactory so far, but the worst heat that we ever camped was in August in St Augustine - 105 degree days with high humidity. That will be a challenge, I think, for any AC. The secret, I think, is to explore as many potential campgrounds as possible before camping there. Some trees on the west side of the campsite is very desirable.
3. If you plan to put a park model somewhere in FL, don't forget to check the most frequented hurricane paths. Anything around West Palm Beach south to Miami is a magnet for hurricanes due to the proximity of the Gulf Stream. Always check the potential high water mark for the location; I have friends who lost a very expensive lot and trailer to one of the hurricanes that came through FL a few years back.

All that said, I still love living and camping in Florida, but on our side of the fence, we are planning a semi-long trip up through Alabama and Tennessee later this spring. Please share of your thoughts/experiences/places.