View Single Post
Old 04-08-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
Happytrails

Default Re: Virgin Campers - HELP

Having spent 8 years as a US Infantry Soldier, one item that I've found VERY useful for just about every situation, especially camping situations is what is known as "550" cord, so called because it can support up to 550 lbs. (Also known as parachute cord). This cord can be had at just about any surplus store, or other military PX, etc. It's extrememly thin, less than 1/4" Basically, it consists of a nylon "case" with 5 or 7 strands of nylon cord inside it.....the 7 strand being the one that can support the whole 550lbs. (7 strand is olive drab on the insides, 5 strand is usually white, and I believe is capable of like 380lbs). A tight knot can be tied using just the case of the cord, the "guts" of the cord can be used for various things where a small strong string can be useful, and it's hard to get it tangled up when it's all together, not to mention very strong. It's dirt cheap as well, only like $6 or so for 100'. (Considering all the uses). Anyway, it can be had online at:

http://www.rangerjoes.com/catalog/se...ain&id=750

I've used this stuff for everything from building shelters, to tieing down my gear in the army, and doesn't make a bad dog tie for a campground as well. (Clothesline, NP!) lol To say it does a great job for lashing down stuff is an understatement due to it's small size, weight, and strength. Hope this helps some people out there...........

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.............[/glow]