View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
PopBeavers

I have the factory lift kit, so adding a taller one is probably not an option.

I can not go to taller wheels/tires because as it is now I only have 1/4 inch of clearance on top when going in/out of the garage.

As I thought about it more, my snow chains idea probably is useless because chains are intended to improve forward traction. I want to improve sideways traction, meaning I don't want it to slide sideways. Chains may help ever so slightly. I would have to check the clearance.

I believe that lower tire pressure would help in the mud, but when I got to the dry rocky surface, where some of the granite was sticking 2 inches out of the dirt, then, as noted, low tire pressure may be a problem. On the other hand, my speed was less than 5 mph.

The next time a 4wd versus 2wd debate surfaces, remember this story. Anyone without 4wd can't go where I can go. However, they probably don't want to go where I go. We had 3 motorcycles and 2 ATVs. We like to camp where we can ride them in and out without having to trailer them to the trails from camp.

How may people have a spouse that would drive the second truck towing the second trailer under these conditions?

My son (26) drove his Subaru in. My daughter (29) chose not to drive her Subaru in. But our son has some experience driving in these conditions, because he had a Chevy S10 4wd when he was a college student. He new that when approaching an off camber turn, going uphill, to stay high and don't stop, just keep all 4 wheels turning.

There were some triple axle fivers that drove in after us, at 1 AM, but they have been there before and knew the road well. This was our first time to the Crandall Staging area, just a bit north east of Long Barn, CA.

Gotta love the new Barker Tote-Along (Blue Tote) I bought for this trip. We arrived Thursday and left Monday. My wife, son, daughter and I have backpacked many times, so we can get by without using a toilet if we have to. But daughter-in-law has never camped outside of a campground that had flush toilets and hot showers. With three women, they were happy that I had it along. The Thetford was just not quite big enough. As Maxwell Smart would have said "Missed it by that much". About 3 gallons too much.

If anyone is interested, I'll start another thread about how much my motorcycle riding skills improved in a single weekend on this trip.

We had a great time. The snow Thursday night through Friday morning was beautiful. Just glad I did not have to drive through that. 2 to 4 inches of powder does an excellent job of hiding potholes and small rocks in the road. Sometimes it hides the entire road.

I am in charge of the West Coast TM Rally Fall 2011. The theme is dry camping. I'm looking for destinations. This one meets the criteria, but I think attendence would be rather low.