View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Procedure recommended is......

in the archives. I'm not real keen on searching for it.

The method I use, and have since reading the procedure, is as follows: Perform the leveling operation with 3 jacks first, then lower the fourth jack. That way, leveling is similar to ballancing a triangle on the horizontal plane. The final jack stabilizes the frame without introducing an undetectable twisting moment on the frame.

If jacks at opposite corners were inadvertantly doing all the the heavy lifting, and the other two, at the other opposite corners were only stabilizing, the twisting moment can (could) create misalignment and possible damage.

Anyone ever notice that sometimes the split door opens and closes normally, and other times the upper half will become disengaged when even the slightest downward pressure is applied to the door handle. I've found that almost always happens when overnighting and the WDH remains connected. I can only hypothesize that the bending moment on the frame affects the stabilization effort by creating a bit of a twist in the frame. I also used to experience the same problem after normal setup... but only prior to using 3-corner stabilizing. So, I think there is someting to it.

As others have noted, I also level (when I had a trailer ) side to side with Levelor blocks to minimize the magnitude of force needed to achieve the scissors jack leveling. Then, level with the tongue jack. Finally use 2 jacks to level the low side first, then use the third jack on the opposite side to fine tune. Once it's perfect, I drop the 4th jack.

HTH
Denny(gettin' by on lite beer now)_A