View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I had considered this briefly when those tanks first came out, and even looked a bit for ones that were horizontal. However, my concern was that they would not be nearly as puncture and abrasion resistant as compared to the steel, which could be an issue as rocks and other road debris as blasted upon them from the wheels of the TV.

Further, I'm not sure the effect on tongue weight is that significant. If I recall correctly, the tare weight on a steel tank is on the order of ~18 pounds, and a fiberglass tank is roughly half that. So total weight savings off the tongue is about 18 pounds. That's great, but it's unlikely to make any difference in handling while towing. If that were part of a larger effort to do a bunch of things to reduce tongue weight, then that could definitely be part of an overall effort to do that. But not by itself.

It would be nice to be able to see the propane level in the fiberglass tank, though.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote