View Single Post
Old 08-03-2003, 11:30 AM   #7
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:Honda Pilot w/tow package

[quote author=red_apache link=board=20;threadid=1046;start=0#msg7615 date=1059927540]
It was good news to read that your Honda Pilot did so well. I am curious though, the tow rating for the Honda Pilot is 3500 lbs
-----------------snip---------------
[/quote]

Hi Jack (don't say that in an airport),

I've been badgering Honda America and my local dealer about the 4500 lb tow limit (for boats) and 3500 lbs for EVERTHING else. Always got the same response - It's aerodynamics! Since aerodynamics is part of my specialty, I "dialoged" that there must be more to it. Used the example of a low profile trailer. Blank stares, or long pauses on the phone.

Two days ago, I went back to Cust Svc at my local dealer and talked to a mechanic who tows a large trailer. He said it's rally a tongue weght limit. He produced an in-house Pilot brochure which specifically stated the limit is due to a) aerodynamics of a boat and b) a 450 lb tongue weight limit.

Then he said - a milisecond before I could follow-up, "do you use a WDH". To which I responded, "yes, and 1/3 of the tongue weight is transferred to the trailer, plus another 1/3 is transferred to the TV front wheels. That means if the tongue weight is as high as 600 lbs, there's only 400 lbs on the Tow Vehicle. We were of a similar mind. He allowed that Honda may assumw no WDH.

Another issue, is that the tongue weight of a boat trailer is normally no greater than 8% of total weight. Whereas the tongue weight of a TrailManor (TM's assumption) can be as high as 14.1 % (I believe).

If a boat trailer, w/out WDH weighs 4500 lbs, then the tongue weight wouldn't exceed 360 lbs. (at 10% = 450 lbs)

A travel trailer weighing even 4100 lbs with 14.1% of it on the tongue, w/out a WDH, would carry 565 lbs on the tongue, but only 375 lbs with a WDH hooked up properly. A 3500 lb TT. at 12.8% tongue weight, no WDH, would have a tongue weight of 450 lbs. I'm guessing that's how they figure it. Probably wrong tho.

Summary : I think the areodynamics issue is possibly overstated - at least in the case of a TrailManor. If the tongue weight limit of 450 lbs assumes no WDH in use, Then the TrailManor might very well be unfairly restricted due to Honda erring on the side of caution. I plan to pursue this a bit more with Honda!

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote