View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Goodyear Travels

I have the same trailer and it had the exact same issue. I cut an 1.5 inch, cylindrical hole through styrofoam that I fitted into the recessed battery box. I found the styrofoam in trash bins at nearby construction sites (someone else used expanding foam from a can to fill the cavity). I inserted a small piece of 1.5 inch PVC piping into the hole to align the pipe with the screened vent hole in the bottom of the recessed box, and then siliconed it into place. Now I have a suitable platform for a new battery box containing two Trojan, T105, 6 volt batteries (with a vent restoring the bottom drain). The screws now extend into the styrofoam but that's no longer an issue. Most of the weight of the new battery box is born by the 3 inch, sandwich flooring that surrounds the recessed hole-- not the styrofoam itself. I'll have at least 4 X's the battery capacity of the standard issue 12 volt, imitation, deep cycle battery. I cut out the hose fitting and some surrounding plastic from the top of the old battery box cover and will JB-Weld it to the new battery box cover and vent the hydrogen through the existing hose. The screw placement that we both discovered made absolutely no sense but I never informed the factory.