View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 04:59 PM   #11
Househunterlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Just one more thought. In the good old days, truck manufacturers could use pretty much any number they wanted for a tow rating, and there were some pretty wild specs. In 2008, the Society of Automotive Engineers wrote a specification for how to specify a tow rating, and how to prove it with real world testing. The spec was called J2807. It was updated in 2010, and became mandatory in the US in 2015. I won't try to summarize it, but it is very comprehensive, not just a horsepower spec. You can read all about it in
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/15...-the-standard/

My point? With any vehicle before 2015, a manufacturer's specified tow rating was not particularly trustworthy, especially if you were trying compare one manufacturer's truck to another. Starting with 2015 models, the ratings became much more valuable. If your budget will stretch to something post-2015, you may be happier.

Bill
Did not know about the rating spec after 2015. Interesting. I diffidently would have to stretch the budget to get a TV 2015 or newer. Might be able to find a Nissan Pathfinder.
Househunterlives is offline   Reply With Quote