View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Having taken the toilet apart, I have come to believe that the vinyl skirt is a critical part. The skirt is basically a vinyl sandwich bag with the bottom cut open. On one of the ends, there is a lead rod spanning half the circumference of the opening. The end of the skirt without the lead slips on the chute, so the end with the lead hangs freely in the reservoir. The skirt is installed such that the leaded half of the skirt hangs down towards the non-leaded half, essentially closing the skirt. When water or waste comes down the skirt, the force is enough to open the skirt and allow the waste into the reservoir, unless the vinyl is old and stiff, in which case you'll have problems flushing.

Having explained this, I think the critical function of the skirt is to 1) control odor and sewer gas from rising up into the bowl...at least a little bit; and 2) reduce backsplash from the reservoir into the bowl while traveling.

But I'm curious to see how it works for you with it out. Please let us know. The design of the skirt kinda makes me think it was a retrofit, and not initially part of the toilet assembly when it was first designed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote