Thread: Am I at risk?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Haha....you should talk to an insurance actuary to help quantify the risk into dollars, they are good at that.

First, there's a good chance they were made in 07. Three-year old tires is getting close to the edge....I definitely would replace any tire 5 years old, and maybe even 4.

Second, on the good side, you have a 2619, which is a whopping 75 lbs less than a 2720. That might give you a sliver of reduced risk, but probably not measurable vs. a 2720, which I believe is the only other model with 14" wheels.

Third, how heavy do you travel? Tanks & toilet full? 2 batteries? Tons of food, chairs, grill, generator, 8 pairs of shoes, 2 weeks of food, etc.? If you're traveling bare bones, obviously your risk is lower.

Do you have 14" or 15" wheels? I can't remember when they started making 15" standard...maybe it even was just this year.

But all that may not matter, because you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I want the lowest risk possible of having a blowout.
IMHO, to do that, you should get a tire with a higher weight rating (like a Kumho), or upgrade to a 15" wheel if you don't already have it. If you don't, you'll know you could have always done better.

To replace 3 tires will run you ~$300. To repair a blowout on the side of a busy freeway in the dark and rain, and deal with the resulting damage at your campsite, will definitely cost you more, both in cash, and days off your life.

Bottom line: If they were a higher load tire on there already, I think I would leave them. But since they're Marathons, having a lower capacity, AND they're probably 3 years old, I would replace them.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote