View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigman View Post
I am picking up our unit this week,was considering buying new tires and wheels prior.{the unit is 250 miles away}If I knew the bolt pattern etc it could save me some time.It has been stored indoors for 2 years ,given the distance I'd rather not gamble on the old Goodyears that it has on it now.The owner has it opened up in his storage.If I could show up with new skins ready to go,change them out there,it would save some time on the return trip.Thanks,bbrigman
bbrigman, the reason I asked about you substituting Chevrolet wheels in place of the trailer wheels is as follows based on my experience owning a tire shop:

Even if the bolt hole pattern is the same, your offset is most likely going to be different. The offset determines how much of the wheel sets outward or inward of the hub. Trailmanors don't have a whole lot of clearance, especially towards the fender skirts......and they may rub.

Also, if using a wider wheel (which the Chevrolets will be most likely), then you also run the chance of something rubbing

When Chevrolet went to the newer style in the 90's, they also went to a larger stud size (14mm). Because of this larger stud, the bolt holes are larger in their wheels to accommodate the studs. Your TrailManor will have a smaller stud, which the Chevrolet wheels would easily slide over. The problem then becomes the lug nuts. The taper on the Trail Manor lug nuts are made for the smaller hole, and although they would fit onto the later model, larger hole, Chevrolet wheels.....they would be applying clamping force not at the area specifically designed for it.

If you are going to change tires and wheels, I would go to a local trailer supply place (or you can try a tire store too) to see if they have trailer wheels (not Chevrolet wheels). You might can even find assemblies (tires already mounted on trailer wheels) and would be good to go.