View Single Post
Old 03-29-2022, 10:30 PM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I saw this video a few years ago. It was a really nicely-done real-world experiment. I was impressed with the test, and with the guy's ability to tow a trailer at all. For me, it took a while to figure out the conclusions because of the need to convert kilometers to miles, liters to gallons, and Canadian dollars to US dollars. Sadly, a quick check suggests that the numbers were not impressive, at least by today's expectations. The total distance was 598 km (about 310 miles), which could be done in a single tank of gas and about 5 hours. Depending on speed (the test was run several times at different speeds), the drive took more than twice that long because of the need for multiple charging stops. Of course the difference would have widened with a heavier trailer. In my world, a 10-hour or 12-hour trip means an overnight stop, which adds to both time and cost.

As battery technology improves, the gap will narrow, of course. But for a long trip, it is not yet practical. There is no doubt in my mind that in a few years, electric vehicles will be usable in some camping situations. But they really aren't there yet. And cross-country trips will be tough for a while.

Incidentally, I have read - and have witnessed only once - that RV parks are beginning to put electric vehicles in sites with metered electricity. I understand the need to do so. After all, campgrounds don't give you free gas as part of your fee.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote