View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
How about a swing away tongue and take the tongue home.
Wayne -

Sounds like a really good idea. However, at least with the newer TMs, the hinge-side pin is not removable, so you can't actually take the tongue off the trailer.

I'm thinking that if the thieves use the special drawbar that Leon described, the best answer is going to be at the wheels, not at the hitch. Some kind of a "Denver boot" type apparatus. A good heavy chain as Leon described, with a good heavy padlock, would probably be a good solution. The chain should be arranged in such a way that neither the chain not the padlock can be brought near the ground. If it drapes on the ground, it allows a bolt-cutter to be set on the ground, where the thief steps on the handle to increase leverage. And the chain should probably go around a frame member or through the lift kit, so that removing the wheel does not remove the chain.

Or chain the rear bumper to the fencepost that is probably right behind your trailer.

All that being said, I have my TM in a similar lot, and haven't done anything to theft-proof it.

Jellis -

Sorry for your loss. For your conversations with the police, you are aware, I imagine, that your TM probably has the VIN in two places. At least mine does. One is a paper or foil sticker on the road side of the lower box. The other is a metal tag riveted to the frame at the tongue. If the thieves want to sell it, they will need to put on a new VIN in both places.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote