View Single Post
Old 03-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Solar (quick comments only, PLease add new "Thread" in the "Solar Power" area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegascon1 View Post
Subject 2 is also power related. I would really like to go with solar. As of now, I am thinking mounted panels but I keep waffling on that choice. For a person that is new to solar is this a wise choice? https://www.renogy.com/new-400-watt-...r-premium-kit/ I will need to do some measuring to see if the panels will fit on the rear.
I am a tech guy so I want a nice "control center" that I can see how much power I am using, battery level, how much I am getting from solar... I believe that is called the solar controller.
TMO has an entire forum area dedicated to Solar Power installations. The Renogy panels are decent, and (being heavy glass) they are much more durable than flexible panels. They will affect lifting of the shell(s) on which they are mounted, you will need to adjust the torsion bars to make up for the added weight.

The Renogy "Rover" is difficult to program, and the Bluetooth App gets various complaints. Victron Energy has the best monitor products (and also make great MPPT controllers), but they're premium priced. I would avoid the kit, because it includes the "Rover" MPPT. It also includes TWO sets of provided wire lengths, which might not fit correctly. Please re-ask in the Solar forum, I can assist from your new Thread there (ultimately reaching a shopping list.)

I own a much smaller 2619 (loaded up with more watts than you're looking at) all on the front shell as flexible panels. Flex panels cost much more, and they suffer frequent failures. (I've been lucky). Your thread title can be "New Solar install on a 3124".