View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
But what tonneau are you using that doesn’t go over the edges of the bed? All the ones I’ve looked at for my Ram sit on top of the bed edges and tailgate.
Fair question, and my error. We don't have a tri-fold on this truck. In my earlier post, I was looking for a rack that would work with the tri-fold on our F-150.

But I seem to recall that I was able to find a tri-fold edge mount that was shaped to expose the front and rear stake pockets, so I could have inserted a rack into them, the tri-fold being shaped to work with this. Yes, rain might have drooled into the stake pockets, but they are open to the ground on the bottom, so it is not big deal.

I know I recall a rack that was a bolt-down on the edges of the bed, extending left and right wider than the bed rails, with its own stake pockets just outside the bed. But I was unwilling to use a bolt-down, and was looking only for a clamp-on. I'm just not sure at this point. At any rate, if the rack's uprights had extended straight up, all would have been well, and I could have folded at least the first two panels of the tri-fold. But on every rack I found, the uprights rose only about a foot before bending inward. The bend didn't leave room for the first tri-fold panel to rise. I even queried two of the rack mfrs, asking if they offered, or could special-build for me, a rack where the uprights went about 6 inches further upward before bending. Both agreed that it would be a great idea - and both said no. I even thought about cutting out a piece of the uprights, and inserting something better. But that would have involved welding aluminum - and the project was already getting out of hand.

Don't quote me on this - it has been a while. But being a packrat, I may have my notes around somewhere. If so, I will post more detail.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote