View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
BobRederick

Angler 2

I made an internet purchase 2000 miles away. The deal was great and worth the trip. I made it my vacation and took 2 weeks off work. I already had my TV with factory hitch.

We visited Bass Pro, Branson, the Arch in St Louis and some great friends along the way outbound. We would have had to go out of our way to miss their house.

On the way back, 2 nites at a campground near the dealer for checkout, familiarization and prepping for the trip home. Then 2 nites camping with the grandkids in Michigan, a night at Iowa City (Hawkeye country), and about 4 nites with my family in Iowa and So Dak. Then the quick trip home to Az with stops in Kansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

I have lots of digital photos of the trip and look at them often. I could go on...

Oh, yeah. You want to know about the TM....

I am the second owner of a 2004 purchased Sept 2004. The dealer described it as being in showroom condition. And it was. A couple of tiny blemishes is all I ever found. I made a small down payment to hold it. They had it road ready when I got there. The dealer was not a TM dealer. I don't think they knew what to do with it, and they definitely didn't know how to open or close it. It took 3 guys to do it with a lot of grunting and hollering! They couldn't believe I opened and closed it alone and wanted to know if I owned one before (no!).

#1: I suggest you ask them to describe anything that is not show-room condition.

#2: I suggest you try to find someone on this forum in the area to look at it.

#3: You have some good ideas about an appraiser, but I am not familiar with that process.

#4: Get the check lists off this forum and study them to be ready for the trip back.

#5: Go see one locally somewhere. Open and close it. Get as familiar as possible with them so you don't change your mind when you see it.

#6: I thought about trucking it, railroad, and a friend who drives. Those processes eliminate any possiblilty of seeing it before handing over the cash and costs $1 or $2 per mile.

#7: Have a back door out. If it doesn't meet your expectations, be able to walk away. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

#8: My dealer threw in a 4 year service contract that I could get done anywhere. I question if these are worth the paper they are written on, but it does give a little confidence if something major goes out. I have not used this, preferring to repair the little things myself.

#8: Last but not least -- prayer.

Best wishes and may your journey be as enjoyable as mine.