View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
KMOlsen

Default Needed new curtains #3: The How-to part

While I'm not qualified to give sewing expertise, here are some important things to consider as you plan out your project, or decide if you even want to take this one. I was able to only commit one day each weekend in the garage, and it took 5 full weekends to complete this, after spending the equivalent of another full day or two shopping for fabric and doing all the calculations before committing.

- In our TM, there are 10 windows with pairs of curtains, plus I did 3 privacy panels for the beds, so 23 panels total. The privacy panels and the large widows at each end don't have bottom slider tracks. I also elected to not use the bottom track for the bathroom window. All other windows use two tracks, so you need to know the distance between the tracks, then add about 1/4 inch for 'stretch' as the top panel will need to slide over the valance.

- At first, I was going to leave the valances as those along with the bed side rails intimidated me and I knew would add more time. (I work full time so wanted this DONE!) but after removing the valances saw it was mostly a matter of stapleing (not sewing) and I found a fabric I loved, so made everything fresh and new! The bottom part of the valance I replaced with fabric that matches the cushions - not tackleing that project!

- TIP: give your windows numbers (#1-#10) then write the numbers on the backs of the valances as you remove them. This way the holes will match those already in the walls. Also write numbers on the backside of your fabric panels as you cut them so you know where they should hang. The distances between the tracks may vary by a half inch or so.

- Save your old fabric - like from the bed rail - so you can find the former holes (in the TM) when putting the new rails and valances back in place. I pre-poked the holes, using a large construction nail, so the screws would not catch on the fabric as it was being drilled back into place. The photo also shows a new screw cover base on one of the decorative screws, and I used 3 of the 14-piece packs.

- The spacing between the carriers will determine how deep the creases will be when you open the curtains. I used about 3" give or take as they were placed evenly along the width of the panel. The carriers came in a pack of 14 and I used 11 packs, but if you use different spacing, you might need a different number.