View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Steppy

Default Check Your Axles Even If You're Not Installing A Lift Kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
You may find this thread helpful for the lift kit installation.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t+installation

You will find that your axle is welded to the frame. Be prepared to cut those welds. I used a 4" angle grinder with a steel cutting wheel. Also, carefully mark the location of the axle by scribing a mark down the frame and the axle with a square up against the trailer floor. Before tightening your new bolts, be sure that the scribed mark lines up by again placing the square against the trailer floor and lining up the scribe marks.

I would recommend having the lift spacers welded to the frame after installation (to keep it from moving fore & aft on the frame). It shouldn't be necessary to weld the axle to the spacer.

I'm changing from 14" to 15" wheels on my 2004 2720SL. I'm also replacing the brake assemblies and bearings & races as well. Yesterday after pulling the old the curbside brake assembly, I glance up at the place where the axle is bolted & welded to the frame and got a big shock. The forward bolt was gone, and the forward weld holding the axle to the frame was broken. If it were not for the fact that I was replacing the brake assemblies & installing a lift kit, I doubt that I would have detected this problem.

I guess the moral to this story is to inspect your axles to make sure they'll stay on your TMs regardless whether you're installing a lift kit or not!

As you'll see from the attached pic, I have a little frame repainting to do as well. Oh the joy!

Happy camping!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0028.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	5754  
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote