View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ringleader View Post
I am looking at a 3124king that has hail damage and is priced at $3K. It seems to be in decent shape, mainly requiring a good cleaning inside and out. The hail damage is cosmetic except for a hole in the A/C cover and one in the awning end cap. I have some questions about a few other issues that I noticed.

1. The seals between the beds and the shells are worn, and don't appear to be flexible enough to make a seal any more. Does anyone know the approximate cost to replace those seals, and probably the ones between the shells as well?

2. The shells went up and down pretty well, but seemed to wiggle and squirm a bit on the way. How hard is it to adjust the lift mechanism (is it DIY, or a dealer only process).

3. Does anyone know if the 1999 had wood in the shells? We are in Colorado, so I am not too concerned about rot, but would be good to know.

5. The wall between the sink and the bathroom was not on a hinge to fold down. was the hinge a later design change, or is there something to be worried about here.

6. The wardrobe was also not attached to the hinge. He said it was because he didn't use it and felt claustrophobic in the bed with it installed. I couldn't tell how hard that would be to reattach.

I know this sounds like quite a few things, but most of them seem like minor issues (other than the seals). He did say that the batteries are shot, and the propane tanks are the old style, so will need to be replaced when they are empty. Tires have good tread on them. He is negotiable on price, so what do you think it is worth.

Thanks for any help. I have been trying to find a TM that I could afford that was not geographically undesireable (like located in NY). This is 45 min. away, and although it is a few years older than I was hoping, it is a good bit lower price than I was expecting.

Kevin
2. The wiggle is probably normal for a TM that is 12 years old. Make sure it's not binding somewhere inside like curtains, shell overlap, etc. Adjustments can be made under the frame. There is a tutorial on the site accessed from the home page.

3. Yes, 1999 model years have wood in side walls.

5. There should be a hinge for that particular wall. It's a long one like piano bench style. I think I remember TM sells a repair kit for the hinge from previous issues through the years.

6. When I purchased my TM last year, the wardrobe was not mounted. The seller took it out for his convenience. I put it back in. The bathroom walls need to be down. There is a long guide strip below the foot of the bed which aligns with the strip on the wardrobe. There should be a wood screw on the far right end of the guide strip that needs to be removed to slide the wardrobe in. Takes two people to guide it along the length due to the weight and size of the wardrobe.

Does not matter how much tread is on the tires. They most likely are old and dry cracked. Be very careful. I had a blowout after 300 miles. Luckily, I was parked overnight on my trip home when it blew, so no damage to the fender well.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote