Thread: TM Mini
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Sorry to hear you've had problems.

Regarding the brake controller, you really never want your trailer brakes to lock up, period. Tow vehicles have anti-lock brakes, and trailers don't. This means that the trailer would skid sideways if the trailer brakes locked up, a big problem. It doesn't mean that the trailer brakes are defective, though it does mean that your stopping distance will be longer when you're towing a trailer than when driving solo. Anti-lock brakes would be nice on trailers, but nobody makes them (yet).

Second, I've had Rv's for 30+ years, and I've always used a pressure regulator since I had a problem like this one so long ago I can't remember which RV it was that taught us this same lesson. You never know how much pressure is in the water systems you hook up to (pressure varies a lot within a hilly water system), and this is an easy way to protect your trailer's water lines which are designed to be light weight, but not for holding against unusually high pressures.

I'm a big fan of weight distribution hitches because it keeps the weight on the front wheels when you tow. The front wheels do 2/3 of the braking and all of the steering, both of which are pretty useful on the road.

I hope things are smoother for you from here!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote