View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
ng2951

Quote:
...1) Prior to leaving for a trip -- Plug in TM for 24 hours in driveway to get refridge cold, unfold to add the water and load up, put water/chemicals in toilet, fold back up, attach to car and go.
On this site somewhere is a checklist for the TM. I found it a little unwieldly and the pardette and I built a graphical one that works well for us.

My recommendation is to inventory what you will put where. Depending on your trip, you will of course have items in this inventory that you will not want to bring, or new items that you will. However, once you figure out what and where everything will be stowed it makes life a lot easier and you won't forget anything significant.

I also agree with other posters here that it is a good idea to practice backing up; that will try your marriage vows! Agree on how you will give directions. I believe "left" and "right" do not work well and suggest "street" and "curb(side)" as better directional cues.

On water and stuff consider where you are going. If water is going to be available, you can fill everything when you get there. However, if you are going to be out in the wilds, it is sometimes not a bad idea to put at least some water in the holding tanks. If you need water while on the road, you can open one of the drain (winterizing) valves from the outside without opening the trailer up.

Another thing to do, is purge and fill the hot water tank and heat it up on shore power before you leave. It is surprising how hot the tanks stays. So if you are dry camping this will save you propane.

If you are at a campground with utilities, you can wait till you get there to heat up the tank on their nickle. If you want it to heat up really fast use both a/c and propane: real fast recovery.
Quote:
2) Setup -- Park, detatch car, unfold everything (I think I've got a handle on that part), connect electricity/water/sewer if in campground OR turn fridge to propane use, open awning, and have fun.
Like I said earlier, parking will try your marriage until you have done it a few times...er, that is parking of course. FRS walkie-talkies can help. Harbor Freight also has some magnetic tennis ball antennas that help you locate the hitch when connecting up. They are OK for $10.

One other tip that I learned last November. If you are in a park and expect freezing weather, fill the water tank. We didn't do that and we had to wait till evening to take our morning shower.
Quote:
3) Take down -- Unconnect electricity/water/sewer or turn fridge back to battery, expell unused white water tank, fold down, connect back up to car, haul to dump station, dump gray water and toilet, go home.
Dump the toilet FIRST, then the gray water. You use the gray water to flush the sewer line. I open the winterizing valves as I leave. Just remember it takes a while for it to drain. So while you are driving, do not get too concerned if you see a liquid spraying from the TM.
Quote:
4) Winterize -- Sales person said to just dump everything and put 1 cup of antifreeze in all drains including toilet. Is this right?
I haven't had any problems so far since it is that easy. Winter temps around here rarely drop much below 20 degF.
Quote:
QUESTION: Does the water tank and toilet need to be expelled after EVERY trip? Meaning can the unused water and toilet (if under 60 flushes) stay as is between camp outings? I thought you just kept the toilet chemicals until the 60 flushes then dump, but sounds like even if we only use the toilet a few times a trip, it needs to be dumped. Any thoughts?
I certainly dump mine every few days. If I am dry camping, I want that toilet just as fresh as can be.

I have found that after going 3 or 4 days, if you drop additional packet toilet chem (we have been using formaldehyde-free stuff) that will keep it going a few more days. Whether formaldehyde-free works better than formaldehyde chems I do not know. Just be aware these chems are extremely poisonous and keep it away from the kids.