View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
fischnet52

Default Not robust...

Well, I will be anxious to hear/see replies from long time owners, since we just got our 2720SD in October and have yet to get out in it - other than the driveway! Here is food for thought that we considered before joining this fine 'club' of owners.

My thoughts were similar to yours .. a bit mixed when we first looked at the TM at the dealership 4 yrs ago. We had first seen one in Olympic NP, being used by a retired couple who had traveled the US with it and loved it - a 3124 I think. The dealer also carried HiLos and several other 'standard' hardsides and we spent hours going from one into another, repeating a lot of "yeah, buts" to one another. I'm sure the salespeople all talked about the crazy couple! However, we have camped with a large Jayco popup for 12 years (with up to 4 kids) and it is still in very good shape. i.e. we really take care of things we use. Now that we are retired, our consideration was to have something with the shower and toilet, the oven and AC and a little more 'live in' space than with the Jayco, so we could be self-contained in RV parks near/in cities we want to visit, yet still be able to get into the same more remote camp areas we could with the PUP... we spend most of our time outside when we camp, under the awning or at the fire ring or picnic table. I've got a camp table and Coleman propane stove that we will continue to use outside as well. We also wanted to have the towability and mileage we got with the PUP if possible. A major consideration is that we could aways get the 16ft of PUP into a small site, then open it to it's 22 ft and have room ... in sites that you could not get a 24ft trailer into.

I know what you mean about interior size/room, seals and concern about 'standing up' to use, when compared to a full size trailer. My Dad had a 31ft 5th we used and there is no comparison in room, no seals to worry about, etc. But they are two different animals. It depends upon your overall desires and needs.

After discussing these issues and reading through the forum, we decided that it is obvious in many ways that folks with TMs have very similar expectations from their RV. It was also fairly obvious that, while some aspects seem to be not 'robust' enough for a lot of use, there are many folks who have used them extensively and do not see a lot of degradation in the units. My greatest concern is in making sure that I'm careful with the shower walls in takedown, as I see that as the weakest component. All other features are well designed for use and, based upon how our PUP has fared, should last many good years!

I have also talked to owners of older units I've seen in campgrounds who purchased used and new, and have had the same very positive comments from both regarding solid construction and durability of seals and components.

TMs are not for everyone ... This is the best place to help determine if it is a fit for your needs.