View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Recharging batteries depends on a variety of things.

Since this is the guest area, guests will not have access to the more comprehensive details of the member area. So I will make some general comments. We often do not have hook-ups in general camping areas where we like to go.

So we try to conserve on electric useage. We try to get by with fewer electric lights in the Trailmanor (TM). If we use the bathroom, we turn off the lights as soon as possible. We often get by with only one TM dome light at a time. We use some totally independent electric lights that use 6v or D cells. I use a laptop or DVD player sometimes so those will need recharging or will have to be taken into account for electric useage. That is not much. We don't use a TV.

We minimize the use of the TM propane space heater. We use a portable Mr. Heater (Buddy Heater) that uses the small propane bottles commonly used for camping while we are awake in the evening. At night we turn off the Mr Heater and set the TM heater to run on minimum, which is about 50 to 52 deg F and use heavy bedding. At home that would not be acceptable, but camping in the TM seems to be fine for us. We know that it will soon warm up once it gets daylight. This practice will limit the battery useage.

How long it takes to recharge and how often depends on how much you are using the electricity. I use a battery voltage monitor that plugs into the 12 volt socket to check the battery voltage. But keep in mind that the voltage varies with the air temperature. So it is not really the most accurate way to measure battery capacity. But after awhile you get used to what the battery condition is. I will run my portable 650 watt Honda generator 1 or two hours per day or as needed. I use a standard automatic battery charger plugged into the AC outlet of the generator and then connect it to my TM batteries (two 6 volt Interstate batteries). If I need to use my electric shaver I try to use it when the generator is running and use a 12 volt inverter to plug the shaver into the 12 volt outlet.

This works for us.